Breakfast Casserole is a pretty amazing concept, and this one contains all the ingredients of a Jalapeño Bacon Burger. Pickles inluded.
I don’t know who first came up with the idea to dump everything on a breakfast table in a casserole dish and bake it together, but it was genius.
While your typical breakfast casserole usually involves sausage and potatoes, this one summons all the best things of a jalapeño bacon burger–ground beef, onion, mushrooms, and (naturally) bacon and jalapeños.
To take things over the top, I top the casserole with pickles and serve it with a spicy mayonnaise.
Easy, convenient, flavor-loaded breakfast food? Yes, please!
Can I Really Put Pickles in Eggs?
Listen–pickles make everything better, and eggs are no exception. Their delicious sour tang really adds some kick to any egg dish.
If you’ve trusted me before and put blueberries in eggs, you shouldn’t fear pickles.
For some quick and easy Whole30 pickles to use in this recipe, definitely check out my method for Refrigerator Pickles aka Quickles!
How to Make Jalapeño Bacon Burger Breakfast Casserole
Start by adding some sliced bacon to a large skillet and cook until it is browned.
Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a paper towel lined plate, reserving about a teaspoon of grease in the pan.
Add a pound of ground beef to the skillet and brown it.
Pro Tip: the key to getting well-browned beef is to let it sear in large chunks before breaking it up into smaller pieces.
Add some diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and minced garlic to the skillet and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
Add a pint of sliced cherry tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until they release their juices. Remove the skillet from heat and let the mixture cool a bit.
Meanwhile, beat 10 eggs in a large mixing bowl with some nutritional yeast, salt, and, pepper.
Transfer the ground beef mixture to a greased, 9×13 baking dish, then pour in the eggs.
Top with the some sliced pickles, jalapeños, and the bacon pieces, then cook the casserole in a preheated 350°F oven until the eggs are set, about 30 minutes.
Slice and serve over some lettuce with some spicy mayonnaise.
Jalapeño Bacon Burger Breakfast Casserole
- 8 ounces sugar-free bacon chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 ounces Cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dill pickles sliced
- lettuce for serving
For the Spicy Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise homemade or Whole30 compliant
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve a teaspoon of fat in the pan.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Cook the meat until browned and no longer pink.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they release their juices, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let the mixture slightly cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and add in the ground beef mixture. Pour in the eggs and top with the pickles, jalapeño, and bacon pieces.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Serve with lettuce and spicy mayonnaise.
For the Spicy Mayonnaise
- Combine the mayonnaise and hot sauce together in a small mixing bowl. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
The ingredient or equipment sections above may contain affiliate links to products that I personally use or recommend!