Just when I think that I’ve gone through every combination possible in a seafood-based salad, something comes along and changes my whole perspective on the situation.
Recently, it happens to be the combination of pineapple and mayonnaise in this Hawaiian Shrimp Salad.
It sounds too odd to even make sense, but gosh darn it if the pairing of creamy mayonnaise with tangy pineapple chunks doesn’t make my taste buds want to stand up and do the Macarena in double time.
Not to take the spotlight off the shrimp, but this combo is really the star of the show for me.
With the addition of garlic, ginger, and cilantro this Hawaiian Shrimp Salad is all about achieving maximum flavor potential in a simple meal that you can throw together in under 30 minutes.
How to Make Hawaiian Shrimp Salad
First you’ll need to procure some cooked shrimp. My go-to method is to just bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the shrimp with their shells on.
Boil the shrimp for a few minutes until they turn pink and start to float, then transfer them to an ice bath. Give them a peel and a rough chop.
Aside from the shrimp, you’ll need some fresh pineapple for this mayonnaise-based salad.
That’s right–pineapple and mayo. Trust me on this one, it’s the best combo you’ve never had.
For the dressing combine some mayo, cilantro, lime juice, garlic powder, ground ginger, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Add the chopped shrimp, pineapple, diced red pepper, and some sliced green onions and toss it all together.
Serve the Hawaiian Shrimp Salad over some greens and enjoy!
Hawaiian Shrimp Salad
- 1 pound shrimp deveined
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise homemade or Whole30 compliant
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper diced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 bunch green lettuce for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and start to float. Transfer the shrimp to an ice bath, peel, and roughly chop.
- Combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the pineapple, red pepper, green onions, and shrimp to the bowl and gently toss. Serve over lettuce.
The ingredient or equipment sections above may contain affiliate links to products that I personally use or recommend!