I know what you’re thinking.
“What is a tantalizing hoagie doing on a so-called Paleo blog! Caveman, have you lost it?”
I’ve never really had it, but that’s besides the point.
It’s not bread. This is just a regular old chicken breast stuffed with sauerkraut, arugula, tomatoes, and mashed avocado.
It’s a fun way to create the essence of the sandwich, with out losing any delicious flavor. Make a bunch of theses babies and wrap them up for a satisfying bite on the go.
Start by coating a couple of large chicken breasts with coconut oil. Dust them with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. (Alternatively, Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning also works great for this).
Bake the chicken in a preheated 425°F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Meanwhile, scoop an avocado in a bowl and mash it with a little sea salt and lemon juice.
Remove the chicken from the oven and, once cool enough, cut each breast in half horizontally. Slather both insides with the mashed avocado, then top one side with sauerkraut, arugula (or your favorite green), and sliced tomatoes.
Flip the other half of the chicken breast back on top and dig in. I won’t judge you if you use your hands.
Sauerkraut Stuffed Chicken Breast "Sandwich"
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2/3 cup sauerkraut drained
- 1 small tomato sliced
- 1 cup arugula (or your favorite green)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the chicken in a small baking dish and massage with coconut oil. Sprinkle both sides of each breast with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature reaches 165°F). Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, scoop the avocado into a small bowl and mash it with the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally. Slather each side with the mashed avocado, then load on side up with arugula, tomato, and sauerkraut. Flip the other half back on top and enjoy.
The ingredient or equipment sections above may contain affiliate links to products that I personally use or recommend!