It’s tough not to love skillets. The are one of the best options when it comes to a satisfying meal that doesn’t require a lot of time in the kitchen. Plus the possibilities of ingredients and flavor combinations are pretty much endless.
This Beef & Plantain Skillet relies on diced green plantains to act as a starchy counterpart to some savory ground beef that is seasoned with cumin and simmered with green onions, red pepper and garlic.
To seal the deal, I added some ripe tomatoes for a hint of sweetness and topped everything off with a simple Lemon Basil Aioli. It adds a great creamy texture and burst of flavor to the skillet.
Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add two diced green plantains and fry until they are crisp and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep your veggies.
Transfer the plantains to a plate. Increase the heat to medium hight, then add one pound of ground beef to the skillet along with the chopped green onions, red pepper, and garlic. Season with a teaspoon of cumin and some salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes.
Stir in the plantains and a chopped tomato and remove the skillet from heat.
For the aioli, simply blend some mayonnaise, fresh basil, lemon juice, and garlic together using an immersion blender or standard blender.
Top the skillet with the aioli and enjoy!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green plantains, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade or Whole30 approved)
- 2/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the plantain and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Increase the heat to medium high. Add the ground beef, red pepper, green onions, and garlic to the skillet. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the plantains and chopped tomato and remove the skillet from heat. Serve with the aioli.
- Combine all the ingredients using an immersion blender or standard blender.